Here is a picture of a counting stick:
It is divided into equal rectangular sections.
How many rectangles can you see altogether?
Once you've had a go, here are some questions you might like to consider:
- Are all your rectangles the same size? (I can see some that are bigger than others...)
- How many different sizes of rectangle are there?
- How many rectangles are there of each size?
- What if my counting stick was longer, or shorter?
- Is there a quick way to work out how many rectangles there would be, for a counting stick with 100 sections? Or 1000? Or...