Here is a picture of a chess board:
How many squares can you see altogether?
Once you've had a go, here are some questions you might like to consider:
- Are all your squares the same size? (I can see some that are bigger than others...)
- How many different sizes of square are there?
- How many squares are there of each size?
- Would it help to start by counting the squares on a smaller board first?
- Is there a quick way to work out how many squares there would be on a 10x10 board? Or 100x100? Or...?
- What about a rectangular chessboard?